Sunday, January 27, 2013

WOO HOO for MUHU!

Yesterday I did something I've never done: took a knitting class.

And it was so much fun! The class was taught by Nancy Bush, who has been researching and writing about Estonian knitting techniques for a number of years. After I signed up for the class, which was taught at Fibre Space in Alexandria, Virginia, I realized I had a book of hers, Knitted Lace of Estonia, which I have used for several years.


Nancy was teaching a particular style of knitting from Muhu Island, off the coast of Estonia. Our assignment was gloves. I signed up for the class because I want to get more experience with knitting with color and also knitting gloves and mittens.

Cuff knitted in Muhu tradition  

And learning started straight off with an unusual two-color caston that ended up in a braid. Then we learned about twining, which uses two strands of the same color yarn, and an absolutely fascinating way of working with colorways while knitting in the round.

None of us completed a glove yesterday, but we all learned these fascinating stitches. I finished the cuff when I got home and made some progress on the main glove part, as you can see from the photo. 

We all had a wonderful time. My thanks to Nancy Bush, my fellow knitting students, and Fibre Space.

cheers,

Reah Janise

No comments:

Post a Comment